Witnesses at Document Signings

A notary public is an impartial witness appointed by state government to oversee the signing of important documents. These individuals are to be of the highest integrity, as their presence is to identify acts of fraud or illegality when certain documents are signed. They have written rules to follow, but since they do not have a direct report after each occurrence, they are commissioned as ministerial officials.

As a notary, you will be required to verify the identity of individuals who sign important documents and serve as a witness that both parties understand the contents and purpose of the transaction. You will also verify that neither party is being forced to sign against their will or by intimidation tactics. You can work from anywhere, as your license is held by the state. Upon expiration, the Florida notary renewal process can be completed online.

Legal Needs

Many of the legal documents that people sign require a notary in order to authorize the transaction. When you use a lawyer’s office to draw up a will, power of attorney, or healthcare proxy, the document must be notarized after it has been signed. All of the people required to sign the document must be present at one time, and each must bring identification. Typically a legal office will have one of its administrative members licensed as a notary. However, you don’t need a lawyer to have things notarized. There are many notaries that work for the public. However, it is the ethical responsibility of a notary to avoid overseeing situations where a conflict of interest can be identified.


Notaries have a responsibility to impartiality, and this extends to the communities they serve, They are never to refuse service to another person because of religion, race, politics, nationality, or sexual orientation. Their services a limited in scope, as they are not judges, high ranking officials, or lawyers. Therefore, for any legal advice that would help you determine the authenticity of the document you are preparing to sign, you would need to consult with an attorney.